Thursday 8 January 2009

Things it's taken me 40 years to learn

  • How to use a solid fuel stove, without relighting it every day.

  • I am not a car mechanic.

  • My mother will never change.

  • Some other people do and can change, but not all that much.

  • Being supremely tolerant is not always the best strategy.

  • Moderation.

  • My body is too fertile to ever have sex again.

  • Men do not, by and large, want children. Until they've got them (sometimes), which either therefore never happens, or is often too late.

  • Even if they deny the above, it's still true.

  • Other people can do the washing-up.

  • Yes, I really do need to keep the place tidy, at least sometimes, and am not ashamed to admit it.

  • I can no longer stay slim and live on mince pies. With brandy butter.

  • Sometimes people are friendly for the wrong reasons and actually, those people aren't usually worth keeping as friends.


Things I learned more quickly than that:

  • Money can't buy you love, or much else except stuff that all needs tidying up.

  • It doesn't matter who does the work, as long as it gets done.

  • Antidepressants, antibiotics, contraceptives and other Smarties-from-doctors-that-make-drug-companies-rich, are not for me thank you very much.

  • Homeopathy works, but some people will never be convinced of that fact.

  • Health and happiness go hand in hand.

  • Sleep is good.

  • Some friendships last forever.

  • Time and freedom are worth more than money.

  • Debt is bad.

  • Children are the most valuable asset a person could have, but only if you commit to them instead of your career/social life/travel plans/religion, etc.

  • World of Warcraft is addictive. (I broke the habit 2 years ago.)

  • When my middle daughter tells me it's time to stop blogging and get ready to go out, she's usually right.

2 Comments:

Blogger Allie said...

This is interesting.

I have learned the same about no longer staying slim but, in my case, it's when I am living on chocolate and stilton.

8 January 2009 at 10:17  
Blogger Gill said...

Hi Allie. I wouldn't share your stilton (though I would at one time) and chocolate isn't really a problem for me. It's mince pies all the way with me, especially in December. And, every month, mounds of pasta.. and roast potatoes.. etc. *rolls eyes*

8 January 2009 at 10:28  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home